Advanced Diploma in Journalism and Mass communication with specialisation in Radio and TV Journalism
Fees: Rs.55,000/- per annum
Electronic media is overtaking all other conventional Media of Communication. As Journalist writes for his readers, broadcast journalist speaks for his viewers. The programmes like, Big fight, We the people, Parakh etc. are produced by TV journalists. When you see news story of 5 minutes, there is a big team of news reporters, writers, editors and news officers working day and night for that bulletin. All are trained TV journalists. This specialiszation is designed to up lift your skill of reporting, writing, editing and presenting. It takes out all your fear of facing Camera, tunes up your speech, reshapes your talent of journalism for TV and thus makes you perfect to face your audience or viewers. You learn everything in front of the Camera in our TV studio. In the first semester, students develop professional film making sense. They also develop the skill to face camera, improve speech and confidence over language. The second semester starts with specialised training in TV Journalism and presentation, with working on small news events. As an educational exercise student have to participate actively in simple video production. This continues with more professional touch during the second semester.
Paper I Radio Journalism & Audio Technique Paper II TV Journalism & TV Production Technique Paper III TV Direction and Media Management Paper IV Internship for two months in media organisation
Paper I - Radio Journalism and Audio Technique
- Radio: Broadcasting in India. An overview, Radio today and tomorrow. Public services commercial radio, FM Radio and Community Radio.
- Radio News: Radio news formats. News department. Responsibilities of team members. Source of news. Time and timing of news cast, story length, story placement.
- Reporting for Radio: The art of interview. Field reporting. Freelance reporting. Using tools like microphones, recorders etc.
- Writing for Radio: Copy leads, impact of words, pronunciation and phonetics, writing for ear, Rewriting for time.
- Presentation for Radio: Radio Jockey. Target audience, writing for ear. Use of spoken language. Impact of words. The voice behind the mic. Speech personality.
- Properties of Sound: Mono, Binural, Stereo and surround sound. Volume, pitch, frequency and tonal quality. Sound absorption reflection, echo and reverberation. Acoustics in recording studio.
- Sound Recording: Recording chain, Microphones, classification as per structure and polar pattern. Audio mixers controls and operation. Dual track and Multitrack recorders. Multi track recording process, track editing and track shifting. Sound on sound and special phono effects (SFN).
- Sound reproduction: Preamplification, Tone control, graphic equalizers. Purification of sound. Power amplification, power output in PMPO and RMS. Total harmonic distortion and sound quality. Speakers and enclosures. Woofers, tweeter, mid range and crossover frequencies.
Paper II TV Journalism & TV Production Technique
- TV News: News Department, Responsibilities of team members. News cast structure. Video and Audio Components. Scripting with or without Titles and Graphics.
- Writing for TV: Terminology. Scripts leading to reports. Scripting with anchor, Voice over, writing and recording narration.
- Reporting for TV: Assignment, preparing and shooting the story. Going live, specialised reporting, News conferences. Speeches, Cultural events, Crime and investigative reporting
- TV Presentation: Voice and posture, personal appearance, make up peronal habits, Talking to Camera, News reading, use of tele prompter in news reading.
- Video Formats: VHS, U-matic, Beta, V8, Hi-8, DG-8, Mini DV etc. Video of the Past, video of the future. Merits and demerits of different video formats. Different video signals and their application.
- Structure of Video Camera: Body, Lens, view finder, Basic controls and calibrations. ENG, EFP and Studio set-up of video cameras. Photo conductive effect, CCD and other image pickup devices. White Balance, sync pulse generation, Gen lock and Multi-camera operation.
- Video recorders: Size and shape, Camcorder operation, essential functions, controls and OW! operation. Analogue v/s digital recorders, advantages and disadvantages.
- Lighting: Basic light structure, Multi 10, Multi 20, flood , solar, spots, effect projector etc. Soft and Hard light, Creative lighting setup in high key, low key and graduated tones.
- Video Editing: Role of Editor in film making, on camera, online and offline editing. Assemble and insert editing. Cut to cut and Multi-roll edit. Video editing equipment. Video switcher, special effect generator, character generator & their application.
- Principles of Editing: Role of director in editing. Theoretical justification of editing, continuity, rough cut and fine cut. Timing. Transitional effects and their significance in the editing.
Paper-III TV Direction and Media Management
- Idea Development: Idea as a seed of programme, source - of idea, practical approach towards development of idea into programme. Initial research, planning, time and money management; stages of production, structure of a programme.
- Direction: Production Crew members, their responsibilities in production, Directors command and floor discipline.
- Composition: Composition creates meaning. Three* basic approaches towards composition. Concept of changing image size and changing view point. Dynamic composition colour impact and emotions. Internal and external composition. Imaginary line, continuity, contrast and space balance in composition.
- Script writing: Non fiction - Developing idea into script, Treatment, synopsis, screenplay AV script and story board. Planning and writing narration as per structure of programme. Fiction - divide story into 3 act formula, planning turning points, developing direction and dimensions of the fiction.
- Visual analysis: How to see films through film makers eye. Analysis of story for Direction and dimension. Analysis of Story for Camera, and editing work.
- Programme Management: Communication management functioning of broadcast channels. Sponsoring and commissioning of programmes. Channel Marketing. 7. Budgeting : Budgeting of programme, sources of finance, Time and Money management.
- Proposal Making: Budgeting Documentary, Serials, Educational programmes, Talk shows etc. presentation of Proposal.